free website stats program Village Drinking: Night 9: Red Lion, Falucka, Next Door

Village Drinking

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Night 9: Red Lion, Falucka, Next Door

It took me a few days to recover from the weekend binge, but eventually I got together with Orbital to continue work on the project. We tried to meet a little earlier and midweek so we could hit the Bleecker street bars without having to pay a cover. Our first stop was The Red Lion which had a live band playing, but we were early enough that we didn't have to pay a cover. Orbital's comment after being in the bar for 5 minutes was, now I have no reason to come here again. That pretty much summed up our opinion of The Red Lion. The crowd was straight from the middle of Jersey, the music was bad, my $8 vodka tonic was actually good, but I ordered some food with it that wasn't. Our server was nice and cute, but that hardly made this brief trip to Jersey worthwhile. I would avoid The Red Lion like you'd avoid the Garden State.

Our next stop Falucka a hookah bar on the other side of Bleecker. Falucka is actually a nice bar, with nice decor and a nice bartender, but they ruin the atmosphere with their velvet rope outside and their pretentiousness. When we walked in a girl asked us if we wanted to check our coats; I told her that since there were only 2 other people in the bar, I thought there would be space for them. My $8 vodka tonic was pretty good. This could be a nice bar if it was run a little more laid back instead of trying to make it seem like some exclusive place.

While out with ilikebutter during Night 4 on MacDougal, I had noticed a space under a restaurant that I thought might be a bar, but it was hard to tell. So we went back to check it out and it turned out to be one of the best discoveries of the entire area. The bar is the Next Door which is associated with the restaurant La Lanterna and has live jazz everynight. There is a $5 cover, but for jazz I don't consider that such a big deal. My $8 vodka tonic was pretty weak, but they have a very extensive wine list and I had an excellent calzone, while Orbital ordered a decent cheese plate. The music was really good. The crowd was mostly date types in the other room and 3 women from Minneapolis next to us, so not a great place to mingle. But for a late night snack, some good music and a glass of wine one of the best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home